When I came across the recipe for making your own fortune cookies, well…let’s just say I was pretty excited! Whenever we order chinese food, my daughter loves to crack open the fortune cookies after we finish our meal and read the fortunes together. Not only is this Thrifty Thursday project fun to do with your kiddos (at pretty much any age) but think about how great it would be to personalize the inside message for whatever occasion…silly messages for kids, romantic messages for your significant other, party favors, or even a creative way to share news that there is a baby on the way…the possibilities are endless!
So here’s what you’ll need:
- 3 egg whites
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
What to do:
1. Start by cutting small strips of paper with your fortunes on them. Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Separate your eggs, using only the whites and then mix in your sugar using a wire whisk.
3. Stir in melted butter, vanilla, almond extract, water and flour one at a time. The result should look similar to pancake batter.
4. Spoon batter into thin circles (about 3 inches across) on a greased cookie sheet (use a teaspoon worth of batter for each circle).
5. Bake for about 5 minutes – until the edges turn slightly brown.
6. Add your paper fortune to the middle and quickly fold your hot cookie in half.
7. Bend the cooke in the middle to make it look like the fortune cookie you would get from a chinese restaurant.
8. Put your cookies to cool inside a muffin tin. This will help them to keep their shape while they harden.
Now go and impress your friends and family and bring these to your next get together!