Motherhood Rites of Passage

Last Friday I experienced one of the hardest rites of passage any parent will face- my child underwent surgery at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.  The procedure itself was non-invasive, and non-life threatening, but nonetheless, he still required anesthesia and was asleep during the entire procedure.  I am so happy to report that he made a lightning fast recovery, and in true Jake fashion was gobbling down McDonald’s french fries one by one all the way home.  Hey, when you’re the sick kid, you get what the sick kid wants, right?  And, after depriving him of food from the night before the operation, that little belly needed some good old fashioned kid comfort food, and the Happy Meal toy that comes with it!

We started the morning off very very early in order to be at the hospital for our 7:20 a.m. check in time.  I, of course had the same feeling in the pit of my stomach that precedes all of my half marathons- you know, that awful nervous feeling like you’re going to barf all over the place at any given second?  Yep.  The entire ride from home to Hartford.  We arrived at CCMC and pulled right up to the valet parking area, and unloaded Jake, his diaper bag, and his favorite Mickey Mouse life-sized stuffed animal, and we were off to the surgery floor.  Fortunately for children going through procedures and visits at CCMC, the entire place looks like an awesome children’s museum/art exhibition.  Jake could not have been more at ease in this place.  So many colors, murals, flying things, statues, and toys around every corner.  I was even starting to feel distracted by all of the bright shiny sparkly accents.  Sheesh, too bad all hospitals couldn’t be like this…

We checked him in, and awaited to be escorted into the operating room.  CCMC really does think of everything.  They allowed me to scrub in with my little Spud and hold him as we walked into the operating room.  He was still all smiles up until I had to sit him down onto the tiny little operating table.  I think the jig was up.  No toys in this room.  Only big bright lights and shiny metal objects.  He knew something was up.  The doctors placed a little oxygen mask near his face while I held him in my arms.  Once the tears started pouring down his face he slowly began to fall asleep on me, and I very gently placed his tiny sleeping body down.  It was when his tears stopped, mine started.  As I was leaving the operating room with a nurse, she touched my shoulder and told me how well I did, and how strong I was for Jake.  I couldn’t let him see me crying for him, and once the coast was clear, it was now me who had tears pouring down my face.  I don’t think I stopped my bouts of crying until the doctor came up to my husband and I in the family waiting room to say everything went fine, and Jake is resting in recovery.  Instant relief.  My stomach instantly felt at ease, and I managed to eat half of a toasted cinnamon raisin bagel before we were escorted in to see a sleepy and crying, but very much recovering sweet baby Jake.  I’m so happy to report that my little Spud is quite back in action- he was already running laps up and down the hallway an hour after we returned home, and pretty much refused his pain meds in lieu of homemade pizza from Nonna & Poppy, who I had on speed dial, and thankfully arrived within minutes of us coming home.  We spent the rest of the day coloring pictures as a family, eating pizza and drinking from the Carlo Rossi jug, just thankful that this whole ordeal was behind us. 

Jake enjoying a post-op popsicle while Momma refuses to let him out of her sight!

13 thoughts on “Motherhood Rites of Passage

  1. Marie – so glad everything went well for Jake. I was shedding some tears just thinking of you holding him while he fell asleep – you are one strong mama!!

  2. Thanks, Michelle! The entire family is so happy it’s over, and that Jake pulled through like the champ he is!!

  3. Thanks, Janna! I would have to agree with you- i don’t think i would have cried any less if this was his not his first surgery, but at least we know how well he was cared for at CCMC, and the love and care given to him by all of the doctors and nurses. It’s such a comfort.

  4. Oh, Mel, you’re not alone here- as i was typing this, i was getting choked up all over again at that same part! This was literally the toughest experience to go through as a new mom. Thanks for your thoughts of Spud! He’s my champ!

  5. I’m so glad that everything went well. It’s an awful feeling when your little one is sick and there is nothing you can do about it. Feel better Jake!!!

  6. I’ve done 4 surgeries at CCMC in the past 3 years with my kiddos and it never gets any easier to see them go to sleep on that big table. Glad to hear about his awesome recovery!

  7. I’m so glad he is doing well! I feel like I live at hospitals with my 13 month old twins. My son just had his second surgery yesterday and I seriously think the whole ordeal was harder on his father this time around. It doesn’t get any easier, but hopefully you are done with that rodeo for now.

  8. Oh wow Marie. I read about Jake’s tears, then your tears, and then my own tears started coming! I would have been a wreck. So glad little Spud is doing great!

Share Some Comment Love

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s